My Double Lung Transplant

Monday, March 31, 2008

They tried to make me go to rehab....

...So I had to goooooooo gooooooooo goooooooooo.

I know those aren't the actual lyrics but in my song they are. So yes yes, today was my first day of pulmo rehab and it wasn't too bad. It started off in a rageful state, when i glided gracefully into the parking lot and couldn't find a spot. This rehab place is actually mainly meant for those who are coveted members of the Wrinkle Society....old people....geriatrics....what have you. Well they can't park worth shit and it really pissed me off. Cars were parked with their asses hanging out of spots, half way between the lines. Some cars went over the separation lines; other people just took it upon themselves to park side-ways. For the creative, they made their own spots.

So needless to say, wanting to park close became unrealistic and i sat in my car and called up my mum, where I swore effortlessly into the phone to her for about 3 minutes and she sat at the other end and laughed. Anyways I made my way in and sat in a confrence room as 9 other 'newbies' filled up the place.

I gawked around and studied people. I was the only one under the age of 40 (unlike the eye docs on Friday when i was the only one under 75). I looked like a new baby...a gem...sparkling amist the illness that riddles us all. We all introduced ourselves and said why we were there. About 3 people had Pulmonary Fibrosis, a couple had COPD, Emphasyma (sp?) and Alpha 1 something. Alas, I was the only one with Bronchiectasis.

The cheese stands alone.

Anyways, all we did was fill out forms and someone joked about having a smoke break at some point. We all laughed and started coughing. About 6 of us were waiting for transplant (at some point). 2 people were from my city and we discussed maybe carpooling once the next two weeks of individual assessment is over.

April 14th rehab starts 5 days a week and goes till the middle of May. In all it's gonna last about 8 weeks. One day (they are not full days mind you - they last a couple of hours) will be walking, another day will be spent in the pool, another will be in the gym, and I'm not sure what the others will be full of. I know weights are involved. I'll update to see how it goes.

Erm...that's about it. I got my monstrous paper completed and handed in. Tomorrow is my last day of class! I have to miss thursday (my actual last day of class) b/c of rehab but that's ok, i can talk to my profs tomorrow and get final exam info. That's about it. It's warming up and the snow is melting.

I'm sorry this wasn't more entertaining. I shall catch you lot later!

No comments: